April 23, 2008

T is for Timmy, his mouth stuffed with socks

T is for Timmy, his mouth stuffed with socks
04/23/2008 - National Poetry Month post #26, part of The Unlucky Twenty-Six

Each Saturday morning with parents asleep,
down to the TV room Timmy would creep,
so quietly careful without one small peep
with chocolate puff sugar bombs poured in a heap.

He laughed at Bullwinkle and all of his tricks
and Wile E. Coyote blasting dynamite sticks
and Josie and all of her pussycat chicks
with Yogi and Boo Boo thrown into the mix.

Tom chasing Jerry, Fudd and Smurfette,
Musky and Deputy Dawg on the set,
and Tweety evading Sylvester's quick net
and Johnny Quest flying his special Quest Jet.

He tuned in Fat Albert when nothing was on
and loved Savoire Faire up in the Yukon
and Polly Purebred he had a crush on
and even liked Lucky Charms' wee leprechaun.

Tim watched every show from five until noon
and lamented that it was all over too soon,
and his mom said that he would become a buffoon
but still he wished his life was a cartoon.

But he watched and he slurped and he wiped at his nose
and transitioned from cartoons to afternoon shows
and his eyes, they stopped blinking, and his mind simply froze
and his munchies ran out so he nibbled his toes.

He drooled, catatonic, at the idiot box
while he turned dumber than a box full of rocks,
and he even went numb to electronic shocks,
and he sucked on his toes and he choked on his socks.

It took them four days to realize that he'd died
with his feet in his mouth and his eyes open wide
on the floor flapped some leaves of an old TV Guide,
with his empty cereal box at his side.

One of my writing goals for 2008 is to write at least one light verse or poem every week in addition to my haiku wednesday and fiction friday posts. I will try to do this on Mondays.

10 comments:

PJD said...

I feel like I'm off my game again today, in part because of the Evil Editor anniversary party going on, and in part because I guess I just set myself up with a difficult line for Tim.

JaneyV said...

When you're "off your game" you're still a million times better than the most of us! You rock Pete!
Even though you did miss out Quickdraw and Babalouie!

McKoala said...

Well, I think this one's brilliant. Hope EE sees it, because he seems to be a cartoon fan.

Blogless Troll said...

Agree with Janeyv. That's damn good stuff for off your game, Chief Judge. I think I used to be Timmy, except for the eating the toes part. And where's Shaggy and Scoob? And Woody Woodpecker?

Tomorrow is Unis!

writtenwyrdd said...

I like this, but I agree it isn't your best. When you submit The Book you might have to tweak this one, lol.

bluesugarpoet said...

Funny!

PJD said...

I thought of Shaggy & Scooby, and I even had a line with Hong Kong Fooey in it, a line that didn't survive. And that weird Martian dude from Bugs Bunny, but I never could fit "Illudium-Q38 space modulator" into the verse. And Magilla Gorilla, which was a favorite of my friend Mark, but I never much cared for it.

WriterKat said...

This is one of my favorites, maybe since I'm a TV brain. & It's sadly believable.

Chris Eldin said...

Off your game?!
This is actually my favorite so far.

Have a few left to read, but this one is funny!!!
:-)

PJD said...

kat--being a tv brain, it's probably good you go out with the scouts recently.

rhinothongbutt--thanks for the kind words. sorry I didn't pick your "GTP" poem in the contest...