June 29, 2007

Fiction Friday: mythical figure

This week's theme: Pick a mythical person or creature (e.g., Santa, Thor, Easter Bunny), and explain through dialogue, essay, or anything else, why they are unhappy with their job or position in life.

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. My name is Ganymede, and I'll be your sommelier tonight. If you're ordering the braised lamb, I can recommend some excellent vintages from the hills of Crete. If, however, you go with a more traditional goat dish--avoid the entrails tonight; the prophet who disemboweled the goat did not use the cleanest of knives, I'm told--if you go with the traditional goat grill platter, I can offer a rare Savatiano. I say rare because although it is a common varietal, this bottle is actually quite delicious, particularly with the savory flavor of the goat.

And if any of you happens to be involved in casting for the new play downtown, I would just like to add that I'm really an actor and can play any part you like. I've done tragedy and comedy in community theater, and--what's that? Oh, yes, I was the lead in one play... hmm? Well, probably something you haven't heard of... yes, it was a comedy. Yes, I know perhaps some may find it unbecoming for a Trojan prince such as myself to prance around dressed as a harlot, but--now see here, it was a serious role!

Dionysus! That drunkard couldn't act his way out of a toga. And, for someone who claims to know so much about wine, he's a very poor judge of vintage, let me tell you. I don't know why he gets all the girls.

Yes. All right, then. The Savatiano it is. But you may regret not auditioning me. I may not be here next week. I've got a line on a terrific part... yes, certainly, I'll bring over your waiter.

10 comments:

~willow~ said...

Hi, I actually needed to look Ganymede up, I didn't really know of him, just that a moon of Jupiter is named after him, so thanx for the education of the day :-)

bluesugarpoet said...

lol - a wine steward that knows his heard and can "play any part you like"; leave it to you to write intelligent comedy. Great take on the theme!

Dale Challener Roe said...

As a lover of many mythologies, I thought this was great.

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, Pete. I used to be a waitress and I could picture myself giving the same presentation (including the advice about which dish to avoid).

Very real, funny and intelligent piece. The waitress in me thanks you.

bluesugarpoet said...

Uh - I meant to say "herd." lol

Lyn said...

Nice writing. New figure for me, thanks for the into. Lyn from Bloggin' Outloud

paisley said...

like willow, i had to do a little reading to find out who this was,,, i guess the whole mythical idea was lost on me... i am so dang literal.....

excellent take tho... i love the waiter/wine steward idea... excellent choice....

Anonymous said...

I liked the ancient take on a universal problem. How to be discovered. :)

Rose

xo

jeni said...

ah...reminds me of when i lived in los angeles. EVERYONE is looking for their next big part!! thanks for the laugh. :)

lissa said...

A Trojan prince who wants to be an actor? Nice take. I have to look up a couple of names. Not very familiar with mythology.