March 24, 2008

writer's monday


a writer's monday
3/24/2008

a writer's block is often caused
by staring blankly at a page
your creativity is paused
your brain is failing to engage

some think it like an empty cup
a vacant space that they must fill
and once they've got it all filled up
ideas and words will freely spill

and some, all vexed, begin to think
that if they write one word's formation
there is no doubt that it will stink,
so theirs is verbal constipation

and others view it like a wall
that they must bash to bitter bits
for them to hear their muse's call
for on the other side she sits

for me, it's just that there's too many
words and thoughts all in a jumble
I get confused and can't pick any
and so my roar becomes a mumble.

One of my writing goals for 2008 is to write at least one light verse or poem every week in addition to my haiku wednesday and fiction friday posts. I will try to do this on Mondays.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I understand what you mean. I haven't ever posted like this before but want to let you know that someone is out there who knows what you're thinking, maybe.

PJD said...

Thanks, amanda. What I mean with that last stanza is that there are so many ideas and opportunities for writing, my biggest sticking point is often choosing among them.

Unknown said...

Right, how to choose becomes the question, and I think that's grand, in the vein of better to have too much than too little. But, I also know that it can make things confusing. My current writing to make a living consists of PR work, which you may laugh at; I certainly do.

PJD said...

I've dabbled in PR in the past (very technical press releases mostly). It can be laughable sometimes, but it can also be a real discipline. Or, depending on what you're doing, it can be a sort of factory process. Manufacture a quote, stick in the lead, and tack on the "about" paragraphs.

Blogless Troll said...

Dude, tell me you didn't draw that picture.

Great poem as always.