This week's Ten on Tuesday theme is favorite movie villains! When I think of my favorite movies, it's rarely for the villains. I mean, really, how are you going to pick a "villain" for a list like this from Mary Poppins, or The Sound of Music, or The Sting (OK, I really liked Robert Shaw as Doyle Lonogan in this, but mostly because of the entire movie, not because he was a particularly outstanding villain). I almost picked Sid, the neighbor kid in Toy Story, but again he didn't rise to the level that I wanted. So here are a few that leapt to mind this morning. I have a feeling my list would be different later in the day after my brain warms up, but... there you go.
In no particular order:
- Tim Curry as Cardinal Richelieu in The Three Musketeers. "You first."
- John Malkovich as Cyrus Grissom in Con Air.
- Dennis Hopper as Howard Payne in Speed.
- Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor in Superman.
- Anthony Hopkins as William Bligh in The Bounty.
- Bruce Glover at Mr. Wint and Putter Smith as Mr. Kidd in Diamonds Are Forever.
- Richard Kiel as Jaws in various Bond movies.
- Dustin Hoffman as Captain Hook in Hook.
- The Predator.
- David Bowie as Jareth the Goblin King in The Labyrinth.