10 things to do before you die
Does this mean ten things I want to do before I die, or ten things I think you should do before you die? Hmm. Or maybe ten things I need to do before you die? Anyway, I don't typically make lists like this. I prefer to live in the moment and see where life takes me, enjoying the wonder of everything along the way. I mean, a list like this implies that if I were to die tomorrow, I'd have at least ten regrets. I don't like living that way. Anyway, here goes:
- Publish a novel.
- See Australia and New Zealand.
- See the middle of the United States in two parts: First, ride the train and see museums and historic spots in cities I've never been to. Second, drive and camp in national parks all over the country.
- Take my boys on a tour of medieval castles and cathedrals and cultural spots in Europe.
- Visit the Italy you see in all those movies about people spending lazy summers in country villas surrounded by vineyards.
- See Cal win a Rose Bowl.
- Own a mountain cabin or house, preferably on a lake, likely in the Sierras or in northern Vermont. Write there. Enjoy hot tea on a quiet winter morning overlooking the lake.
- Brew another batch of beer and share it with my friends. (It's been too long since I did!)
- Publish a second novel.
- Install baseboards in the living room. (My wife is pretty sure this one is not going to happen before I die.)