November 29, 2005

Now I've REALLY done it.

I can't believe I've actually written two novels. (Plus a novella a few years ago, but frankly that one works better as kindling than reading material.) Tonight (or this morning, for those scoring at home), I finished the final chapter of "Crossings", my second novel in two years. No idea if it's any good yet as I've not read it. I think I'll wait for the movie.

Perhaps most surprising to me is that when I was younger, I always envisioned myself as writing fantasy or science fiction. Instead, my first two novels really are more in the literary fiction/mainstream fiction category. Who'd have thunk it?

8 comments:

Jane D. said...

Totally enjoyed both of them. I am quite impressed with the speed of this second one and how well it reads for a first draft. You ARE a writer.

Jane D. said...

By the way - I do not mean that it reads like a rough draft - which is part of why it is impressive.

PJD said...

Thank you! I can't believe how quickly you read. Now all I have to do is take these two novels and make them commercially successful so I can stop working and write more.

Jane D. said...

I think I might read faster than anyone I know. I have a lot of writer friends and they can't write fast enough to keep me occupied. Maybe I should try to write more...

bluesugarpoet said...

I like Crossings too. Great characters. I'm only 1/5 of the way through, but it was hard to put it down. Darn housework!

Where is the survey?!!

PJD said...

Was it hard to put down because it's electronic and it was also hard to pick up? Or was it hard to put down because your alternative activity was housework? Or was it hard to put down because you liked it?

Yes, I'm fishing for compliments. :)

Jane D. said...

I think you need to get started on your next book. Maybe a sequel to Crossings. I am waiting.

I probably need to bring over some Guiness to show my appreciation.

PJD said...

Next book is already plotted and characters simmering in the stewpot of my mind. The idea is what I call an "Athena" idea... it sprung, fully formed, from my head. I am excited to write it, but I need to try to get the two existing ones published!

Also, it will be quite different from either "Crossings" or "Across the Stream." Sorry, no sequels.