This is not an official 10 on Tuesday post but follows up last year's T10 about new year's resolutions. It comes in two parts: First, a report card on how I did against last year's resolutions. Second, a bunch of new resolutions in the greatest tradition of election year promises. Also, a question to all my friends: What are your resolutions for 2009?
Last year's resolutions:
- Vote. For this I get an A-plus because I voted the right way. Unfortunately, much of California voted the wrong way.
- Write. For this I get a B-plus because I did write some, and composed the Unlucky 26... but I did not write three short stories like I said I would. I did, however, write two.
- Submit. A solid C on this one. I submitted one story to a contest (no luck) and another to a different contest (honorable mention). But that was about it.
- Call and write family more often. Um. Maybe a solid D. I didn't quite fail, but close.
- Stretch. A on this. I now stretch and warm up pretty well before soccer and workouts. Not that it's done much good.
- Get trained for scouting. A-plus. Not only did I get trained, but I volunteered as a uniformed leader for both Cub and Boy Scouts. Not that I have the time.
- Revise. Solid B. I have worked hard on Andie's Gold (nee Gold Miner's Daughter), and it's much improved. But it still needs work in the later chapters.
- Submit. B-minus. GMD/Andie's Gold have been sent out, but only recently and only to a handful of agents.
- Tell people I care about them. I think maybe B-plus on this. I've been lots better, but I'm still pretty reserved in this area.
- Carpe diem. I give myself an A-minus on this. Although my writing goals suffered, my day job flourished and I took on several challenges I might have let pass in the past.
Now, a few resolutions for the upcoming year:
- Do something proactive with the Unlucky 26. Agents, small publishers, or self publish. Not sure yet, but something will be done.
- Be more proactive with Andie's Gold. (Assuming none of the outstanding queries bear fruit.) I have faith that this book should be published, and I just need to find the right combination.
- Continue to write. I did pretty well until work got crazy; work will continue to be insane throughout 2009, but I should be able to continue writing at least as much as this year, hopefully more.
- Don't skip the gym. It's so easy to say "today is too busy," but the days that I go I feel so much more energized. When I don't go, I start getting down on myself. It helps that I now have a buddy who goes to the same gym.
- Be realistic about my time. This fall, I had too many obligations. I need to scale back something to retain my sanity.
- Reprise #4 of last year: Write and call family more often. Um, yeah. That's a resolution like for every year of my life.