September 5, 2008

another quake in the east bay


It was downgraded from 4.2 to 4.0 after a few minutes, but we just had another quake.  We think it was centered about a half mile from a friend's house nearby, and only about four miles from our house.

It was the typical WHUMP that shook the whole house, as if a sperm whale had just fallen from 50,000 feet onto our driveway.  Immediately, I blurted out, "That's an earthquake!" as if either of my boys needed clarification.  My older son, pale as a polar bear watching "An Inconvenient Truth," shouted wide-eyed, "What do we do?"  I had no idea.  Run outside?  Duck and cover?  Run screaming in circles?  He demanded again, "What do we do?"

It was then, about four seconds after the initial WHUMP, that I felt the gently rolling wave sway the concrete slab beneath my feet.  It actually was kind of a pleasant sensation, like a hammock or cradle really, and I knew the quake was over.  So I put my hands out, smiled, and replied, "Enjoy it."

5 comments:

paisley said...

we didn't feel it over here,, but i have to admit,, i am a sucker for a good roll myself......

JaneyV said...

Oh my! I'd be a scardy-pants in a quake!

I think the advice of enjoy it when the earth moves is fairly spot on though!!!

writtenwyrdd said...

I used to love all the little 3 and 4 quakes we'd get in San Jose when I was a kid. But getting hit with the Loma Prieta in 99 took all the fun out of them forever for me. I was 5 miles from the epicenter for thatone. Of course, it was worse in the SF/Oakland area due to all the liquefaction.

You must have loved that one, too (she says sarcastically).

Robin S. said...

Miss ya being around. Hope you and yours are fine!

Blogless Troll said...

Note to self-

Avoid asking Pete for guidance in these situations:

1. Burning building
2. Sinking ship
3. Event horizon of black hole