July 14, 2008

environmentalist

environmentalist
07/14/2008

When Constance burst in through the door
she screamed at me, "Turn off that light!"
And then around the house she tore
and watching her my neck got sore
until I managed to implore
and stop her terrifying flight.

"Have you gone mad, are you insane?
You've made the house as dark as night!
You're giving me severe eye strain
resulting in a headache pain
and though I don't mean to complain
you're giving me an awful fright."

Then Constance shrieked, "You're so darn dumb!
You'd live your life by pure hindsight!
While you just sit on your fat bum
the coal and oil burners hum
creating grimy, sooty scum
so you can keep your curtains tight."

She ripped them open, sun streamed in,
and outside a horrific sight.
Where woods and trees and lakes had been
lurked smog and smoke and dreadful din.
The evidence of mankind's sin
assaulted me with deep insight.

And to my eyes there came some tears
to see the land's most awful blight,
for all I'd done throughout the years
was thumb my nose and offer sneers
ignoring all their silly fears
denying their predicted plight.

And Constance whispered quietly,
"I can no longer be polite.
I've tried to tell you doggedly
but you just scoffed and pooh-poohed me.
Turn off your lights and you will see
it's not too late to put it right."

One of my writing goals for 2008 is to write at least one light verse or poem every week in addition to my haiku wednesday and fiction friday posts. I will try to do this on Mondays.

No comments: