May 11, 2006

dammit!

Rejected again. And this one was actually a good story.

The best part is that with the rejection letter (in the envelope I paid for, I self-addressed, and I stamped), the editor was nice enough to include a subscription card. Not a card saying I was getting a free subscription. A card asking me to send them some money because, well, it would be my duty as a writer to subscribe to their magazine because they make the world a better place. (I'm paraphrasing here, but that was the message on the card.)

Imagine you're a 17-year-old boy who has never really been on a date before, and you're dying to go to the prom yet terrified of asking someone. Finally you get up the courage. You ask that smart girl, the one who seems a little quiet but is cute in her own way. She says, "Thanks for asking, but I've got so many boys asking me that I have to reject 99% of them. But you could rent a limo and pick us up and drive us to the dance. That would be nice."

As if.

No comments: